Frequently Asked Questions

Code Enforcement

Q: Whom do I contact about speeding on my street?

A: The Denton County Sheriff’s Office should be contacted at 940-349-1700 regarding speeding.

Q: To whom can I report an abandoned or inoperable vehicle on public property?

A: To report vehicle violations such as abandoned or inoperable vehicles, please contact the Denton County Sheriff’s Office at 940-349-1700.

Q: What are the lawful construction work hours within Lantana?

A: Construction work hours within Lantana are 7am-7pm Monday – Friday and 8:30am-6:30pm on Saturdays. No outside work is permitted on Sundays. For issues such as noise complaints or working after approved hours, please contact Lantana’s Homeowner Association Offices at 940-728-1660.

Q: The water in my neighbor’s lawn drains into my lawn; how can we resolve the drainage issue?

A: This is a matter to be resolved between property owners. If it is the builder’s fault, check with Lantana District Offices at 940-728-5050 to review or verify actual drainage plan approval.

Animal Control

Q: Who do I call to report a dead animal?

A: If the deceased animal is in the District’s easement, right-of-way, the alley or streets you can contact the District at 940-728-5050 and request to have it removed.

Q: What do I do about a stray animal?

A: Please contact Denton County Sheriff’s Department at 940-349-1700 to report all stray animals.


Q: What are the fence and gate requirements surrounding a pool?

A: Barrier fence minimum 5 feet. Gates must open away from pool. Gate latches must be poolside, a minimum 54” above grade. All openings within 18 inches of latch must be screened, maximum 1/2 inch openings. Barrier gates must be self-closing. The Swimming Pool Permit form is required for pool permits. For additional information visit Pool Guidelines for all pool requirements.

Administrative and Development

Q: Where do I go to obtain copies of documents pertaining to my home?

A: Contact the District office at 940-728-5050 for an Open Records Request form. Information pertaining to a home is only released to the homeowner. There is a $15 fee for all Open Records Requests. Please allow 3-5 business days for processing.

Q: How can I find out the future development of roads and subdivisions in Lantana?

A: Maps of future development can be reviewed at the Lantana Visitor’s Center or the District Offices.

Q: Who is responsible for mowing the creek or park behind my house?

A: If the property is District owned property, residents may call the District Offices at 940-728-5050. If the property is privately owned, residents would need to contact the owner of that property.

Creeks and drainage areas are required to be left in a natural state by our adopted watershed protection guidelines.

Building Inspection & Permits

Q: Do I need a permit for a fence and how tall can it be?

A: Fence Permit(s) are required on all fences built, including replacement of existing fences. All fences have to be approved by the Lantana Architectural Review Committee (ARC) prior to submittal for permitting. Minor fence repairs do not require a permit.

Q: Where can I put my outdoor structure, and what materials can I use to build it?

A: Structures such as patio covers, covered outdoor kitchens or pergolas may be built as long as they meet setback criteria for that lot, obtain approval from the ARC and are submitted for permitting. Materials used will be governed by the ARC. Read the Lantana Design Guidelines to determine the setback and specifications for your neighborhood.

Q: Do I need a permit to repair or replace my roof (shingles)?

A: A permit is not required for roof replacement or repairs. You must contact the ARC to obtain approval for shingle specifications.

Q: How do I know if my project requires inspections and what inspections the DCFWSD requires?

A: The District staff will be able to clarify any and all inspection requirements; you can either call the district office or review the Single Family Permit Guidelines. For more specific inspection questions and specific codes enforced by the District, you can go to the DCFWSD Inspection Guidelines.

Q: Do I need a permit to have a block party or gathering in one of the parks?

A: These type gatherings are considered “Special Events” by the District and are required to be permitted. A Block Party Permit application must be filled out and approved prior to the event taking place. Block Party Permits are $50.00.

Q: I want to expand/widen or add driveway connection to my property. What is the procedure? Is there a fee involved?

A: A driveway permit application must be filled out with a plan attached to the permit. The plan (8 ½” x 11”) shall include width of the existing and proposed driveway, distance from the neighbor’s property, etc. The fees are based upon the value of work.

Q: Do I need a permit to replace a water heater?

A: Yes. Please pull a Plumbing Permit and submit to Lantana District Offices. Plumbers must be registered.

Drought Contingency Plans

Q: What are the watering restrictions for my district?

A:  Drought and Emergency Response Stages
       Stage 1 – Water Wise
Requirements for Initiation
The following are key conditions, any one of which may trigger this stage:
• UTRWD has announced Stage 1 – Water Wise; or
• Water demand has reached or exceeded 85% of delivery capacity for four consecutive days; or
• Water demand is approaching a level that will cause a reduced delivery capacity for all or part of the distribution system, as determined by Denton County Fresh Water Supply District 6; or
• The water supply system has a significant limitation due to failure of or damage to important water system components.
With voluntary action by Denton County Fresh Water Supply District 6 and its customers, reduce the stress on triggering conditions and achieve a 1% reduction in total water use, as measured in gallons per capita per day (GPCD); and, increase public awareness about the need to conserve and save water.
Voluntary Water Use Restrictions for Reducing Demand
Under this stage, customers shall be requested to voluntarily conserve water and to comply with restrictions on certain non-essential water use as provided below. Specific measures to be implemented during the stage will be determined by the General Manager or official designee. The General Manager or official designee may also take other actions not listed, if deemed necessary.
• Encourage reduction in frequency of all landscape irrigation. The Fresh Water District recommends watering no more than twice per week and not between the hours of 10:00 am and 6:00 pm.
• Reduce the frequency of washing or rinsing of vehicles; and, recommend use of bucket/container, hand-held hose with positive shut-off valve or commercial car wash.
• Request customers to reduce the frequency of draining and refilling swimming pools.
• Ask customers to avoid waste during recreational use (water used for leisure and entertainment purposes) from faucets and hoses, or hydrants.
• Increase public information about regular guidelines for time-of-day landscape irrigation.
• Seek reduction of water use through voluntary day-of-week watering schedule. For example, irrigation of landscaped areas with hose-end sprinklers or automatic irrigation systems may be limited to Sundays and Thursdays for customers with a street address ending in an even number (0, 2, 4, 6 or 8 ) and for locations without addresses, and Saturdays and Wednesdays for water customers with a street address ending in an odd number (1, 3, 5, 7 or 9). Apartments, office building complexes or other property containing multiple addresses may be identified by the lowest address number.
• Irrigation of landscaped areas and building foundations is permitted at any time if it is by means of a hand-held hose, a bucket, or by drip irrigation or soaker hose systems.
• Supplement public education efforts about water conservation, by teaching and encouraging reduced water use practices.
• Set a good example by being alert to non-essential government water use. (Examples include vehicle washing, operation of ornamental fountains, landscape uses for parks or medians, etc.)
Stage 1 may terminate when UTRWD terminates its Stage 1 condition or when the circumstances that caused the initiation of Stage 1 – Water Wise no longer prevail.

Further information and restrictions can be found here:

District #6 Drought Contingency Plan

District #7 Drought Contingency Plan



Denton County Fresh Water Supply

District 6/7 & Development District 4
2650 FM 407 E Suite 125
Bartonville, Texas 76226
Ph: (940) 728-5050